Is Climate-Controlled Storage Necessary for You?
Is Climate-Controlled Storage Necessary for You?
Extreme temperatures can cause significant damage to your belongings, forcing you to replace them or lose them entirely. Rather than risk damaging your items in a regular storage unit, you can choose climate-controlled storage units to protect your belongings when high temperatures are a concern.
These units optimize the temperature and moisture levels in your unit, helping prevent unnecessary damage due to humidity. Continue reading to learn more about these storage units and why you should get a climate-controlled storage unit.
How Hot Do Storage Units Get in the Summer?
Non-climate-controlled storage units can get up to 30 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than outdoor temperatures in the summer, which can be extremely high during the peak summer months. These storage units can get even hotter when there are no trees around to shade the unit or if the unit space is surrounded by concrete or metal.
While a storage unit may sit at the ideal temperatures in milder months, it can reach dangerous temperatures during the summer, putting the items inside the unit at risk. Most non-climate-controlled storage units can’t maintain a safe temperature for your personal or business items. As a result, selecting a climate-controlled unit can be the best option for preserving your belongings in the warmest months of the year.
Do You Need Climate-Controlled Storage?
Climate-controlled storage units help manage temperature and humidity using customizable thermostats, heating, ventilation and cooling systems, dehumidifiers, and heavy-dry insulation. These units protect your items from damage, particularly those susceptible to heat and moisture. Though climate-controlled storage isn’t always necessary, it’s often better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your belongings.
What items need climate-controlled storage? Some items you should store in a climate-controlled storage unit instead of a regular unit include:
- Antique or leather furniture
- Makeup and toiletries
- Important documents or photographs
- Electronics, such as vinyl records or CDs
- Collectibles, such as rare books
While these units are ideal for protecting your items, certain things may not need climate-controlled storage, such as:
- Gardening equipment
- Cars or recreational vehicles, like boats or trailers
- Clothing, as long as it’s in a sealed container
- Plastic furniture
- Kitchenware, such as dishes, utensils or mugs
If you’re still trying to decide whether you need climate-controlled storage, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are your items irreplaceable? If you have items you can’t replace, such as antique furniture or old memorabilia that you can’t find on the market anymore, you may want to consider using climate-controlled storage to prevent these items from becoming damaged. For example, old comic books or baseball cards are hard to replace and could be worth a lot of money, so it’s best to keep them protected.
- Do your items have sentimental value? If the things you want to store in a unit have unique value, you may consider using a climate-controlled unit. High heat and moisture levels can easily damage many types of sentimental items, which could cause significant stress. Rather than risk it with things you hold dear, opt for a climate-controlled storage unit.
- Will heat exposure damage your items? Consider whether potential extreme temperatures in your area would harm your belongings. For example, you may be looking for a TV storage unit during the hot weather months. If the items you want to store can be damaged by heat, such as those we mentioned above, use a climate-controlled storage unit.
- Is there a chance your items could grow mold? Some materials are more likely to grow mold if stored in locations with high moisture levels. Rather than risk having to pay to repair your belongings or losing essential items to mold, secure them in a climate-controlled unit.
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then a climate-controlled storage unit is likely the right choice for you. You can explore various options to find units that will accommodate your needs and protect your items.
Benefits of Climate-Controlled Storage Units
There are many advantages of climate-controlled storage units, including the following:
- Protection against humidity: Humidity can create the ideal environment for mold and pests, which can eat away at your items. Humidity can also contribute to rot and decay if your items are constantly exposed to moisture. Climate-controlled units stay at a consistent moisture level safe for your items, helping prevent unnecessary damage.
- Protection from rusting and cracking: Regular storage units exposed to heat and moisture can cause some items to rust or crack, such as metal objects or electronics. Rust and cracking can cause irreversible damage to some of your most essential items. Climate-controlled units help keep the temperature in your unit stable using ventilation and dehumidifiers, reducing the risk of damage.
- Furniture and clothes: Heat, moisture, mold and bugs can destroy furniture and clothing. Climate-controlled storage units help eliminate this risk by controlling heat and humidity, preventing mold growth and reducing the risk of bugs or pests entering the unit.
- Barrier from dust, debris and pests: Climate-controlled storage units provide an excellent barrier against dust, debris and pests. In a regular unit, items are left vulnerable to these elements. Rather than handle these factors yourself, a climate-controlled unit can help eliminate the risk.
Is climate-controlled storage necessary? Ultimately, when you need to store certain kinds of items, particularly those with high value, during the warmest and most humid months of the year in your location, a climate-controlled storage unit is the best option. Otherwise, you may find that regular storage units are ideal for your needs.
Standard and Climate-Controlled Storage Units in New Jersey
If you’re looking for climate-controlled storage units for your belongings in New Jersey, Satellite Self Storage can help. New Jersey weather can fluctuate in the spring and summer, and these weather and humidity fluctuations can leave your items vulnerable to damage. Avoid all of that stress by choosing one of our climate-controlled storage units.
Our units utilize dehumidifiers, heating, ventilation and cooling units, thermostats, and heavy-dry insulation to protect your belongings and give you peace of mind through temperature fluctuations. We make it easy to store your items and locked-in rates, helping you find space for your belongings at a price you can afford. If you’re not interested in a climate-controlled unit, we can also offer you a standard storage unit — it all comes down to your needs.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help!