Top 7 Things to Know Before Renting a Storage Unit
Top 7 Things to Know Before Renting a Storage Unit
Storage units for rent come in various sizes and provide a convenient solution for those needing extra space. Check out this guide for valuable insights and tips to ensure a smooth, hassle-free storage unit rental experience.
There are numerous reasons why someone might opt for a storage unit, such as:
- Moving: If you’re relocating, a storage unit can temporarily store your belongings until you settle into your new home.
- Downsizing: You may need more room for all your possessions when transitioning to a smaller living space. A storage unit provides a place to store items that you want to keep but can’t accommodate in your new residence.
- Renovations: Home renovations can be chaotic, and valuable items may be at risk of damage during construction. A storage unit provides a solution.
What You Need to Get a Storage Unit
To rent a storage unit, there are a few things you’ll need, including:
- Valid identification: Storage facilities require identification to ensure you are the authorized person renting the unit.
- Contact information: You’ll need to provide your contact details, including your full name, address, phone number and email address.
- Proof of address: Some storage facilities may require proof of your residential address.
- Method of payment: You’ll need a valid form of payment to secure your storage unit. Most storage facilities accept major credit cards, debit cards and cash.
- Security deposit and rental agreement: The deposit amount can vary depending on the facility and the storage unit size. You’ll also be required to sign a rental agreement that outlines the terms and conditions.
What to Look For in a Storage Unit
When searching for a storage unit, evaluate these four factors to ensure you choose a facility that meets your needs:
- Accessibility: Are the operating hours suitable for your schedule? Some facilities provide 24/7 access, while others have specific hours of operation.
- Security measures: The security of your stored items is of utmost importance. Look for features like gated access with secure entry codes or key cards, surveillance cameras covering the premises, well-lit areas and on-site security personnel.
- Facility reviews and reputation: Before selecting a storage facility, research online reviews and testimonials from current or past customers. Their experiences can offer valuable insights into the facility’s reliability, customer service and cleanliness.
- Unit size and type: Consider the range of unit sizes and types available at the storage facility. Selecting a slightly larger unit than you need is ideal to accommodate any future additions or rearrangements.
Two Types of Storage Units
When choosing a storage unit, you must decide whether you need a climate-controlled or standard unit. Assess the specific requirements of the items you plan to store before deciding between the two.
Climate-controlled storage units are designed to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level within the unit. These options are typically located within an enclosed building and offer the following:
- Temperature regulation: Climate-controlled units maintain a specific temperature range, usually between 55 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This helps protect items sensitive to extreme temperatures, such as wooden furniture, electronics, artwork, photographs, musical instruments and essential documents.
- Humidity control: These units manage humidity levels to prevent excessive moisture or dryness.
- Enhanced protection: By providing a stable environment, climate-controlled units offer protection against potential damage caused by extreme temperature variations, humidity, mold and mildew.
Standard storage units do not have the same temperature and humidity regulation as climate-controlled units. Here are some key aspects to consider regarding standard units:
- Affordability: Standard units are often more budget-friendly compared to their climate-controlled counterparts.
- Typical use: Standard options are suitable for storing items less susceptible to environmental factors. These may include non-perishable household goods, clothing, outdoor furniture and items not affected by temperature or humidity fluctuations.
- Short-term storage: A standard unit may be sufficient if you only require storage for a short period, such as during a move or home renovation, and if the weather conditions are relatively mild in your area.
Can You Rent a Storage Unit in Advance?
Yes, you can reserve a storage unit in advance. Many storage facilities allow customers to reserve units ahead of time to secure their desired space. Here’s a few benefits of renting in advance:
- Ensuring availability: By reserving a storage unit in advance, you can ensure you get the size and type of unit you want, especially during busy seasons or in areas with high demand.
- Planning and preparation: Renting a storage unit beforehand allows you to plan and prepare for the storage process. You can organize your belongings, pack them properly and have a clear timeline for moving them into the unit.
- Flexibility: With a reservation, you can choose a specific move-in date that aligns with your schedule. It ensures the storage unit is ready and available when needed, allowing for a smooth transition and efficient use of your time.
What Size Storage Unit Should You Rent?
Determining the appropriate storage unit size you should rent depends on the amount and type of items you plan to store. Consider these three factors:
- Inventory of items: Take stock of the items you plan to store, and categorize them based on their size, shape and fragility.
- Measurements and estimations: Measure larger items, such as furniture or appliances, to determine their dimensions. Consider how the items can be stacked or arranged to maximize space utilization.
- Size guides: Most storage facilities provide size guides or online calculators to help you determine the appropriate unit size based on the number and types of items you plan to store.
How Will You Transport Belongings to the Storage Unit?
Once you have selected a storage unit and organized your belongings, the next step is to consider how you will transport your items to the storage facility. Options include:
- Personal vehicle: If you have a suitable vehicle, such as a car, SUV or pickup truck, you can use it to transport your belongings to the storage unit.
- Moving truck: Renting a moving truck can be an efficient and convenient option, especially if you have many items or large pieces of furniture.
- Satellite Self Storage: At Satellite Self Storage, we have moving trucks available. This option eliminates the need to find a separate truck rental service, simplifying the logistics of your move. You can contact us about the availability, rental process and any requirements for renting our moving trucks.
How Long Can You Rent a Storage Unit?
When it comes to renting a storage unit, the duration of the rental can vary based on your specific needs and preferences. Options for rental terms often include:
- Monthly rental basis: Most storage facilities charge monthly, allowing you to rent for one month or extend the rental for longer.
- Short-term storage: If you only require storage for a brief period, such as during a move, home renovation or temporary relocation, you can rent a storage unit for as little as one month.
- Long-term storage: Renting a unit monthly provides the flexibility to keep the unit for an extended duration.
Contact Satellite Self Storage for Reliable Self Storage Near New Jersey
If you’re searching for reliable self-storage in New Jersey, look no further than Satellite Self Storage. For over 35 years, we have offered exceptional services and amenities to meet any storage need. We proudly serve Eastern Monmouth County with two convenient locations in Middletown and Shrewsbury. As a family-owned and operated business, we take pride in being part of this community.
We offer both standard units and climate-controlled storage depending on your requirements. Certain items can benefit from climate-controlled storage where the temperature and humidity are regulated to safeguard your belongings.
At Satellite Self Storage, your security is our priority. With 24-hour video monitoring, sturdy steel and concrete construction, and a reliable lighting system, we help ensure the safety of your personal and commercial belongings, regardless of the duration of your rental term.
Reach out to us and discover the convenience and reliability of Satellite Self Storage.